28 May, 2010

Mr Rosenblum's list

When I bought this book, I admit I was mostly enticed by its very pretty artwork. So, even though I know a book can't be judged by its cover, I'm pleased to say that this one's aesthetics most definitely match its content.

You can read what the book is about on author Natasha Solomon's website but basically Mr Rosenblum along with his wife and daughter have escaped Nazi Germany and are refugees in London. Mr Rosenblum is obsessed with being a 'proper' Englishman and so a list of what constitutes 'Englishness' is started and the adventures begin.

I found myself really enjoying the characters of this story and the way Natasha layered the absolute silliness and whimsy of some moments with deeper issues like depression and racism. I laughed out loud, nearly cried and nodded my head in agreement at a characterisation many different times while reading. If a book can make me react out loud like this, then in my mind, it's done its job! Make sure you add this one to your Winter reading list.

1 comment:

  1. I tried to buy this tonight on amazon.com, but it was 'currently unavailable'... Now am on the search for this exact book!!! Great review, can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails